Local Author Consignment Policy
Here at M. Judson, we take a lot of time to carefully curate our store. We focus our stock on food books, children’s books, and books about our place— which means we welcome local writers as well.
That said, our day and age makes it easier and easier for authors to self-publish their work. Sometimes, this is a wonderful route for a fresh (or seasoned) new voice to find an audience. But sometimes, self-published books are short on professional editing, proofreading and plans for marketing and distribution. There are some 50,000 books published through traditional routes every year; when you add the new ranks of self-published titles to that, the numbers are staggering. No bookstore can carry everything. We limit how many new books we will accept in any given season—from national and local writers alike.
When choosing a book to place on our shelves, we are looking for:
Professional production quality & proofreading
Professional cover design and page layout
A UPC code, an ISBN and a spine with author and title
We also take into account whether or not we think the book will sell to our customers.
We shelve local authors for a minimum of 90 days, but may extend beyond that with the agreement of the seller and the author. We will review your material and respond via email ten days. If your book is accepted, you will be asked to sign our Local Author Consignment Contract, which includes a non-refundable shelving fee. This shelving fee offsets the extra time and energy we spend selecting local titles, as well as tracking inventory and payments. It also supports the staff needed for our quarterly Author’s Market. Typically, the Author’s Market will be held on our patio, on Sunday afternoons, including up to 12 local authors.
Contract Information to consider, should we accept your book:
1. There will be a $25 Shelving Fee.
2. The Seller agrees to place on display the mutually agreed upon item or items for a minimum of 90 days.
3. The Seller is entitled to retain 40% of the retail price of each sale.
4. The Seller will schedule a payment to the Consignee for 60% of retail price for any items sold the previous month on the 15th day of the current month.
5. Once per quarter, authors will be given the opportunity to promote and sell their books at our Author’s Market. You must be present to represent your book. Author’s Market sales will be subject to the same terms as in store sales.